Application Installation Requirements
The available accounting and distribution applications combine to form a fully integrated system for effective management and control of your business. Components of each application contribute to the overall effectiveness of the system. Information contained in the master files of one application may be accessed, modified, updated, or even entered from another application. This eliminates the need for duplication in entering and storing information, thereby saving valuable time and increasing accuracy. Refer to the Application Interfaces discussion under each application for more information about how the applications interact.
The individual applications can be installed in whatever configuration best suits your purposes. The only required application is the System Module. However, General Ledger is strongly recommended if for no other purpose than to maintain a Chart of Accounts file, thus permitting account number verification in the other applications. In addition, some applications depend upon other applications and thus require them. Application requirements are summarized below:
- System Module is required.
- General Ledger is required in order to validate account numbers in other applications.
- Order Entry requires both Accounts Receivable and Inventory Control.
- Purchase Orders requires both Accounts Payable and Inventory Control.
- Sales Analysis requires Accounts Receivable, Order Entry, or Commission Accounting.
- Budget Analysis requires General Ledger.
- General Subsidiary requires General Ledger.
In addition, Commission Accounting is recommended in order to maintain the Salesperson file for sales history purposes, even if it is not used for commission purposes.
Before installing any application, you should refer to the section on that application in this document, paying close attention to the Special Considerations discussion. However, assuming that all applications are to be installed, here is a general guideline for sequence of installation. To begin with, you may want to address only the Maintenance functions in each application. Also, you may want to remain in Initial Setup in each application until you are ready to run End Initial Setup in all the applications you are installing.
- System Module
- General Ledger
- Accounts Payable
- Commission Accounting (at least, Parameters and Salespersons file maintenance)
- Warehouses file maintenance in Inventory Control (in order to specify a default warehouse for a customer)
- Shippers file maintenance in Order Entry (in order to specify a default shipper for a customer)
- Freight Classes file maintenance in Order Entry (in order to specify a default freight class for a customer)
- Accounts Receivable
- Addresses file maintenance in Order Entry (if needed to specify a default shipping address for a customer)
- Sales Analysis (easy to install without history)
- Inventory Control
- Order Entry (remaining functions)
- Purchase Orders
If possible, Payroll should be installed so that you begin Live Operations at the beginning of a new year. If desired, Budget Analysis, Fixed Assets, and General Subsidiary can be addressed at a later time at your convenience.